Tuesday 19 August 2014

"Drugstore" Makeup Starter Kit


Starting off in makeup can be a very daunting process, trying to find the right shades in foundation, the right finish, the right mascara for you, the list goes on and on. So with that in mind I thought I would put together a "Drugstore" make up starter kit to show you my personal recommendations from the lower end of the price scale! I would do a higher end make up starter kit but it would just mostly be NARS so there is not really much point in that!

So to start off with base, I find this the most difficult thing to get right. Because when it goes wrong it really really can go wrong. So I find the best way to go is to get a lighter coverage foundation and just use concealer for any blemishes you might want to hide. The "drugstore" base that I have been reaching for the most on an everyday basis lately has been the Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream, and while I'm not normally one to jump on the BB,CC Cream bandwagon I actually find this one to be really good. It cancels out any discoloration, gives decent coverage but still looks and feels light on the skin. For concealer I have picked my favourite from the past couple of months and it is the Seventeen Phwoarr Paint, this concealer is seriously heavy duty as it says on the packaging. It covers a multitude of sins and is perfect to pair with a lighter base! For powder I have gone for the Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder, this helps set your make up without making it look too cakey and it is so nice and compact so it is perfect for bringing out and about with you for touch ups. To add some colour to your skin I have picked the Maybelline Dream Sun duo. I haven't seen anything like this in the "drugstore" before where you get a bronzer and a blush together in the one set, it is so handy to save having to buy them separately. This set is not the most pigmented at first but is is really easily built up so perfect for beginners so you don't end up looking too tangoed! As for highlighter you all knew I was going to pick the No.7 Instant Radiance Highlighter, this is my all time favourite highlighter. It is so lovely and creamy and gives the most natural glow to the skin. Plus if you get it when the No.7 vouchers are doing the rounds it is such a bargain! 
Bringing things up to the eyes, starting with eyebrows. The Sleek Eyebrow Stylist has been quite a recent discovery and one I have really been enjoying using. It is so much quicker than using powder and it still gives a very natural but defined look to the brows. Moving on to eyeshadow I will admit I am a bit of an eyeshadow snob, but one palette I have particularly been loving the past couple of months has been the Soap & Glory Lid Stuff palette. It is a very neutral palette but it has everything in it for a day to day look that can be amped up for a night time look too. The shadows are really pigmented and for the price you really can't go wrong. Eyeliner is a no-brainer, it has to be the Rimmel Scandaleyes. Nothing compares to these beauties. They are soft so they don't drag on your waterline, they are amazingly pigmented so a little goes a long way and once they set they are not going anywhere so you don' t have to worry about the dreaded panda-eyes look at the end of the day. They have a fantastic range of colours too, so you can get everything from a nude to a purple! For mascara it is really down to personal preference as I find the majority of "drugstore" mascaras to be fantastic. The one I have picked for the sake of this post is the Maybelline Falsies. This is my old faithful mascara, I always end up picking up a new tube of it after a couple of months of not using it and falling back in love with it again. It gives amazing volume to the lashes which is the main thing I'm after. 

For lips I went with two options, a day time and a night time. For during the day it has to be the Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Puker (Ooooh!) Gloss Stick in Nudist. These lip crayons glide onto the lips so easily and once built up they give the most amazing shine to your lips while still feeling like a balm. The colour is really natural and perfect for day time wear! For night time I have amped the colour up and chosen the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Hot Pepper. These are possibly the most amazing drugstore lip product I have ever tried. They are a liquid lipstick that drys to a matte finish and does.not.budge. Once it's on it's there until you decide to take it off. The colour is just amazing for night time (although I have worn this during the day too) and you don't have to worry about it smudging everywhere as the night goes on!



So that is my "Drugstore" make up starter kit complete. I hope it helps some of you that are starting out in make up, or maybe helped you discover some new products! Let me know what your favourite product from the "drugstore" is and I'll be sure to try it out! 
 

4 comments:

  1. This is a great starter kit, I love the S&G Lid Stuff and the Maybelline Mascara x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post, I wish I had read something like this when I started wearing makeup! The Maybelline mascara is my favourite makeup item ever, it's so gorgeous.

    Seren x
    Terrible Thrills

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Seventeen Concealer and Rouge Edition Velvets, great picks :)

    http://books-and-memories.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete